Teleworking is now a labor tool legally supported and regulated in Costa Rica. At Futuris, we aid companies in its implementation, with all pertinent occupational health and safety considerations.
Futuris can help you in the design and implementation of this work scheme for the current emergency situation, with services such as:
- Definition of the teleworking policy and job safety evaluations.
- Development of procedures for reporting and investigating workplace accidents and emergency preparedness and for teleworkers.
- Development of ergonomics programs for staff performing telework.
- Design of cleansing and disinfection protocols for companies, transportation providers, education centers, health services and organizers of events involving large crowds, requested by the Ministry of Health following the emergency declaration due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Design of Integrated Waste Management Programs and support in the implementation of cleansing and disinfection protocols for companies, transportation providers, education centers, health services and organizers of events involving large crowds, requested by the Ministry of Health in light of the emergency declaration issued due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We assess ergonomic hazards in manufacturing and office workstations to design and implement controls that follow the risk control hierarchy and render more productive and safer work environments.
The ergonomics studies we offer in Costa Rica and in the region include:
- Ergonomic risk factors analysis in the design and planning stages of tasks
- Manual handling evaluations
- Workstation posture evaluations
- Loading force and biomechanical assessments
- Push/pull risk assessments
- Repetitive tasks assessments
- Work stress assessments
- Office ergonomics assessments with an emphasis on display screen equipment evaluations
Through our Ergonomics Studies your company will reap benefits such as:
- Ergonomic assessment tools that can be applied to new workstations
- Workstation design that follows ergonomic principles
- Tools for reporting ergonomic risk factors
- Development and implementation of ergonomic management programs
- Guides and recommendations for the design of workstation rotation plans
- Resources to train and raise awareness on ergonomic risk factors and how to avoid them at all levels of the organization
- Selection and support of an ergonomics committee with the involvement of a multidisciplinary team, which includes production, maintenance and medical equipment
- Guidelines and tools to manage work stress
Futuris Consulting performs ergonomics assessment applying existing international standards and validated methodologies, such as:
- NIOSH equation, INSHT load lifting guide and manual handling assessment (MAC, by HSE)
- Recommended force limits for machinery operation, EN 1005-3:2001+A1 standard.
- RULA, REBA and OWAS asessments
- Assessment of Repetitive Tasks (ART, by HSE)
- The Rapid Office Strain Assessment (ROSA) method and display screen equipment evaluations by OSHA and HSE
- Work stress evaluations using guidelines from legal entities in Chile, Colombia, Spain and Great Britain (HSE)
- Ergonomic evaluations for specific industries like healthcare centers using Movement and Assistance of Hospital Patients (MAPO)
We develop occupational health and safety risk assessment processes to identify hazards, assess risks, and determine the effectiveness of an organization’s current controls. Likewise, we propose recommendations to improve performance in occupational health and safety issues.
The risk assessments we carry out in Costa Rica and in the region include:
- Baseline risk assessments in occupational health and safety.
- Topic-specific risk assessments like ergonomic risk assessment, work at height or in confined spaces
- Job safety analysis (JSA).
- Process hazard analysis (PHA) with tools like Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOP), Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA), Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and the ATEX standard
- Event-based risk analysis using methodologies such as Bow Tie
- Identification of hazards and vulnerability in emergencies
Through our Occupational Health and Safety Risk Assessment service your company will reap benefits such as:
- Design of the organization’s risk management strategy
- Development and implementation of hazard identification and risk assessment programs according to ISO 45001 requirements
- Design of operational controls to improve identified occupational health and safety risks
- Tools to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of occupational health and safety risk management
- Resources to train and raise awareness on hazard identification and risk assessment at all levels of the organization
Futuris Consulting conducts occupational health and safety risk assessments applying current methodologies and internationally validated standards, such as:
- ANSI/ISO 31000 risk management standards
- Baseline risk assessments based on the Guide to Hazard Identification and Assessment of Occupational Health and Safety Risks (INTE 31 06 07 2011) and the INSHT (Spain)
- Risk assessments by HSE and INSHT
- Job safety analysis (JSA) by OSHA and HSE
- Process hazard analysis (PHA) by OSHA and ANSI/ISA-84
- ATEX standards 94/9 EC and 99/92 EC
Occupational Health and Emergency Preparedness Plans
We prepare our clients so they are able to confront eventualities with success, with emergency preparedness and response plans based on thorough analysis of hazards and available response resources.
With the goal of strengthening their emergency response capabilities, Futuris Consulting offers its clients:
- Hazard assessment and risk prioritization
- Organizational structuring compatible with plan execution
- Emergency Brigade and general employee training
Companies that develop their emergency preparedness and response plans with Futuris Consulting achieve:
- Managerial buy-in through consensual policies, in order to reach strong and sustained support of the emergency action plan
- Clear identification of hazards and controls that allows for a full picture of the risks
- Definition of specific roles for emergency preparedness and response
- Tools for inspection and maintenance of resources for an effective response
- Involvement of the entire workforce through drills and simulations
- Planification of operational continuity so our clients may continue to operate after an emergency
- Simple and pragmatic emergency preparedness and response plans that are customized to specific workplaces and conditions
- Emergency preparedness and response plans built based on international standards, such as NFPA
- Emergency action plans made to protect life, health, the environment and patrimony
Futuris Consulting guides its clients in strengthening their emergency preparedness and response using the following tools:
- Emergency action plans that are detailed in the stages of emergency mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery
- Concise, easy to implement plans
- Wholesome training of emergency brigade members
- Procedures for emergency action resource supply and control
We guide businesses to operate under high standards in occupational health and safety issues that permeate their entire organization. We act as representatives of the Office of Occupational Health for companies with more than 50 employees, as mandated in the Executive Order for Occupational Health Commissions and Departments (No. 39408) of Costa Rica.
The Occupational Health and Safety Outsourcing service that we carry out in Costa Rica includes
- Representation of Occupational Health Offices
- Support for the management of Occupational Health Committees
- Development and implementation of Occupational Health Programs: assessment of occupational health and safety risks and design of operational risk controls
- Development and implementation of Emergency Preparedness and Response Plans, which includes hazard and vulnerability identification, emergency response team training, development of emergency response protocols, and drill execution and evaluation
- Development and implementation of Waste Management Programs, design of waste measurement tools, waste reduction campaigns and representation before SIGREP for hazardous waste
- Design and implementation of management systems such as ISO 45001 (previously OHSAS 18001)
- Review and update of legal requirements in occupational health and safety
Through Occupational Health and Safety Outsourcing your company will see benefits such as:
- An occupational health and safety strategy, with goals and indicators (KPI) for its measurement
- Roles with clearly defined responsibilities throughout the organization in matters of occupational health and safety
- Protocols and guidelines on how to respond to emergencies
- Tools for managing high-risk tasks through work permits, operational processes and pre task evaluations
- Tools for managing contractors, suppliers and visitors on occupational health and safety issues
- Resources to train and raise awareness on occupational health and safety management at all levels of the organization
- Periodic indicators of legal compliance on occupational health and safety
Futuris Consulting carries out Occupational Health and Safety Outsourcing services using current methodologies and internationally validated standards, such as:
- Standards for occupational health and safety management systems such as ISO 45001
- Occupational health and safety strategies under OHSA, HSE and INSHT standards
- Follow-up based on Executive Order for Occupational Health Commissions and Departments (No. 39408) and on the National Emergency Commission’s Standard for Planning and Preparedness for Emergency Response at Workplaces and Centers of Public Occupation
Management of Asbestos
We identify materials that contain (or may contain) asbestos in buildings, assess occupational health and safety hazards and define a strategy based on risk levels.
The asbestos management service we perform in Costa Rica and in the Central American region includes:
- Site inspections to identify potential asbestos-containing materials
- Field sampling and laboratory analysis to confirm the presence of asbestos
- In-situ coordination for the removal, encapsulation and proper disposal of asbestos-containing materials
- Development and implementation of an asbestos management plan
Through our asbestos management service your company will reap benefits such as:
- Effective removal of hazardous asbestos-containing materials
- Compliance with legal requirements set by MINAE related to asbestos-containing materials, such as a work plan, as requested by Regulation No 25056 on the controlled use of asbestos and products containing it
- Compliance with SIGREP’s regulations on hazardous waste disposal
- Guidelines and recommendations for the removal of asbestos and proof of audits and internal projects
- Selection of reputable and experienced suppliers in the management of asbestos
Futuris Consulting performs the asbestos management service using current methodologies and internationally validated standards, such as:
- Asbestos risk management standards according to OSHA, HSE and EPA
- Follow-up based on Regulation No. 25056 on the controlled use of asbestos and products that contain it
Key Projects Related to Occupational Health and Safety
- Immigration Authority (Costa Rica)
- Hologic Surgical Products (Costa Rica)
- Haynes Brands Inc. (Costa Rica
- Bekaert (Costa Rica)
- Holcim (Costa Rica)
- Align Technology (Costa Rica)
Category: Government & Public Services
Ergonomics risk assessment for 252 workstations. A tool was developed that combines the results of ergonomic evaluations (carried out with the ART and MAC tools) and the analysis of other health and safety hazards. Improvements were proposed in infrastructure, training requirements and the creation of an incident reporting program and training on ergonomic issues.
Risk Assessment in Health, Safety and Ergonomics
Category: Pharmaceutical & Health Care
Risk Assessment in Health, Safety, and Ergonomics for 252 production workstations. A tool was developed that combines the results of ergonomic evaluations (through ART and MAC) and the analysis of other health and safety hazards. In addition, a rotation plan was developed for each line of product manufacturing in which stations with low residual ergonomic risk are rotated with others of higher ergonomic risk, in order to decrease the risk level.
Occupational Exposure Assessments
Category: Industrial Manufacturing
Occupational exposure assessments for noise, dust and chemical agents for three clothing manufacturing facilities.
Industrial Hygiene Study
Category: Industrial Manufacturing
An industrial hygiene study that evaluated exposure of workers in the drawing area to respirable particles and, in the galvanizing area, to zinc in respirable particles and hydrochloric acid vapors.
Development of a risk assessment strategy
Category: Construction Products
Baseline risk assessment for the operation of a cement plant and its mines, through the development of a tool to identify possible hazards, unwanted events, risk level and existing and additional controls.
Category: Medical Devices
In charge of the Occupational Health Department, definition of the management strategy in occupational health and safety, support in the coordination and management of legal compliance and EHS risk management programs.
Get in touch with Futuris Consulting’s team of professionals to start analyzing what we can do for your business.